Discrimination and Harassment
Employment lawsuits will occur no matter how vigilantly you manage personnel risks. As company leaders are well aware, discrimination and harassment claims are not uncommon. McLane attorneys have handled a broad array of these types of claims in federal and state courts and administrative agencies in New England and beyond, and stand ready to help you successfully resolve them.
A sampling of some of the discrimination and harassment matters we've successfully handled include:
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of employers in federal court on claims of race discrimination under Title VII, discrimination claims under the ADA, retaliation claims under Title VII and New Hampshire's anti-discrimination statute, and wrongful termination.
- Persuading the U.S. 1st Circuit Court of Appeals to uphold the lower court's granting of summary judgment in favor of an employer dismissing a retaliation claim (Dennis v. Osram Sylvania, Inc., 549 F. 3d 851 (1st Cir. 2008).
- Convincing a New Hampshire Superior Court jury, following an 11-day trial, to find in favor of an employer and to dismiss claims of sexual orientation and gender discrimination.
- Defending a materials and lighting products company in federal court against claims of race and ethnic discrimination.
- Defending clients in a variety of industries before the New Hampshire Commission for Human Rights and Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination against a wide range of claims, including age, race and national-origin discrimination and hostile work environment.
- Avoiding costly litigation by conducting thorough pre-trial investigations of discrimination and harassment allegations and negotiating favorable early settlements.