Federal Tax Planning
We regularly assist business clients on a wide range of federal tax planning issues, including:
- Choice of Entity: Selection of proprietorship, partnership, S corporation, C corporation, limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, trust or other business entity best suited to the client's needs.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Assisting businesses to expand through mergers or acquisitions by providing a broad knowledge of the tax impact of the transaction, allocation of basis among the assets to be acquired, consideration to be given to covenants not to compete or consulting agreements, and determination of what form the new or surviving entity should be.
- Spin-offs, Liquidations & Restructuring: Avoiding tax to corporation and shareholders; preserving net operating losses.
- Sale or Divisions: Determining whether the transaction can or should be accomplished on a tax-free basis and, if not, whether assets or stock should be sold.
- Termination of Business: The main goal should be to pay as little tax as possible and to provide an appropriate legal entity to receive the assets of the business upon termination or liquidation.
- Securities Offerings: Public & Private: Assisting clients with interstate and intrastate securities offerings and the tax impact of the change of status of the securities' registration.
- Financing Transactions: Structuring borrowings, venture capital and other private placements and public offerings, as well as review of bank and Small Business Administration loan documentation from a state and federal tax perspective.
- Stock Options and Executive Compensation: Assisting employers to implement and administer incentive, non-qualified stock option and other equity or equity-flavored compensation plans; assisting with worker classification determinations; and advising on other employment tax issues.
- Real Estate Transactions: Structuring like-kind exchanges, sale/leasebacks, real estate investment trusts, conservation property easements and related real property transactions.